Thursday, March 17, 2011

Internship and Grandma Visit #2


Dear Readers,
            I know you are all in a state of depression as it has been a while since I updated, but I have been very busy the last two weeks.  After getting back from Spring break, I got myself ready to start my internship at Webdadi and Datography.  For those of you who don’t know, Webdadi is a real estate agency software company and Datography is a digital marketing company targeting the real estate market.  They are both owned by the same owner and I will be working on a marketing project for the two sister companies. 
            On my first day of work I met with my supervisor Elliott and the marketing chair Dan to discuss what I will be working on for the next seven weeks.  They are giving me actual useful work and I have my own desk, computer, phone and email account with the company.  I feel very grown up.  The rest of the first week on the job was spent getting to know my co-wokers and the company culture.  Everyone has treated me with respect and don’t give me menial tasks such as putting things in alphabetical order or fetching tea for everyone in the office.  So far everyone has been impressed with the work I have done and my supervisor has forwarded some of my work to the owner of the company because of my positive contributions to the company. 
             Overall I am excited for the internship, although each day feels very long with the 9-6pm hours.  I leave for work at about 8:30am each morning and don’t get home to Metrogate until it is dark out.  It’s somewhat depressing in a way, but I know that completing an internship abroad will be beneficial to me in the future.  It is also a way for my to experience British culture as I work with all Brits and I can get an understanding of the office culture in the UK. 
            This past weekend I went back to Cardiff, Wales to visit my grandmother again.  Like my first visit, it wasn’t the most exciting weekend of my life but I did enjoy it.  Going to my grandmothers provided me with a much needed relaxing and calm break from the hectic week that preceded it.  It was nice to not spend tons of money and to have someone cook nice meals for me.  The first night I showed her all of my photographs from everything that I have done while abroad which she thoroughly enjoyed and then watched television.  The next day we went to church and later took a walk to the village.  After eating dinner we sat around and talked until her friend Jan came over as she wanted to meet me.  Overall it was a nice visit and it was good to see my grandmother.  She was also very excited to see me as it was her 88th birthday this week.  Although it is a bit boring for me to spend the weekend without internet and without doing anything that thrilling, I realize that seeing my grandmother is something that I should take advantage of while I still can.  She is a bit too old to take a trip over to America and I really don’t know when the next time I will be back in the UK will be sadly.  Next time I visit in a few weeks can be the last time I ever see her, so I will have to cherish the moment while it happens.
            After getting back on Monday morning I attended my internship seminar class, which is pretty much a bullshit class so we can talk about out internships.  The professor also seems like a miserable bitch.  Tuesday was spent doing last minute papers all day since I realized that I should put no effort into my papers and work here, since I will get an A anyway.  I have handed in crap work lately and my lowest grade has still been an A, so why bother with effort?  FIE academics are literally a joke and I cant believe that students from other schools think they are getting a lot of work here.   I’ve done about 2% of the work I would have done at AU for a semester. 
            Sorry for the long post, but it has been a while since my last post.  This weekend I am heading over to Dublin for St. Patrick’s Day weekend which should be a great time.  Ill update when I’m back!
-Rees

No comments:

Post a Comment