Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Denmark and Sweden

     From Rome I flew on SAS all the way north up to Copenhagen, Denmark.  In Copenhagen I visited and stayed with my AKPsi friends Seth and Richard, who are studying abroad there for the semester.  Their apartment was gigantic and really nice, and it looked like it was right out of an IKEA brochure.  Copenhagen is a completely freezing city and it rarely got above freezing the entire time I was there.  The harbor and the rivers were frozen solid and Seth even walked on a lake.  Thursday night when I got to Copenhagen was spent just walking around the area and then just relaxing and chilling with everyone back at the apartment.  
      On Friday afternoon I walked around the city and saw all of the major sites of the city including the walking street, the frozen canal, the harbor and numerous stores.  For dinner I went with Seth and Richard to their friend Emily's house who is doing a home-stay in Denmark.  For dinner we had an authentic Danish dinner prepared by the host family consisting of lamb, creamed potatoes and numerous foods for dessert.  Overall it was delicious and it was definitely a great way to experience the Danish culture.  Friday night instead of going out, Seth and all of his roommates decided to have people over which ended up being a fun night as tons of people showed up.  
     Saturday afternoon a few of us decided to take the train through Denmark, over the bridge and into Sweden.  We spent the afternoon in the city of Malmo, which is the third biggest city in the country.  We had a great lunch at an Italian restaurant and spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the city.  Like Denmark, everyone was extremely friendly in Sweden and it was definitely worth going to for the afternoon.  Special shout out to Seth, Richard and all of their roommates for housing me.  Everyone who lived there was really nice, friendly and made me feel at home the entire time.  
     Overall Spring break was a great time, although it was pretty exhausting traveling constantly for 12 days.  When I got back to London it felt like I had not been here in about a month.  In a week and a half I have used British pounds, the Euro, the Czech Crown, the Danish and Swedish Kroner.  It was great to see some of my best AU friends and I loved all the places I have been to.  Through Spring Break I have also reached my semester goal of going to at least 10 different countries.  Now I am back to London for class and my internship starts tomorrow, which I will update everyone about soon! 

---Current Country Count---
1) England
2) Wales
3) Belgium
4) Netherlands
5) France
6) Monaco
7) Scotland
8) Spain
9) Czech Republic
10) Italy
11) Vatican City (Yes, it is a country)
12) Denmark
13) Sweden

-Rees
Copenhagen!
Coldenhagen?  Yep this boat is frozen into the river.



Malmo, Sweden


No comments:

Post a Comment