Sunday, January 2, 2011

Predeparture


Hello Everyone,

            So, today is January 1st 2011 and this should be a very exciting year for me.  Creating a blog is one of the stereotypical things that people do when they go abroad, so I will be jumping right onto the bandwagon.   The reason that I have created this blog is to keep in touch with all my friends and family back at home in the States.  Since everyone I talk to will be asking me what I have been up to, making a blog will save me from emailing and facebooking the same stories over and over to my friends at home (although you all know I’m an expert at repeating stories).   My goal of this blog is to give you detailed information about my travels, updates on what I have learned through the experience and many photographs. 
            For those of you who do not know my plan for the upcoming semester, it goes something like this… I board a plane for London Heathrow on Wednesday January 5th, I will be living in London for four months, I will be taking three classes and will complete an internship and I return home to New York the last week in April.  I am staying in Central London in the Kensington area (one of the most expensive and sought-after locations in Europe) and will be in a program with FIE (Foundation for International Education).  FIE is an organization that works with American University’s Kogod School of Business to design a study abroad program for AU students. 
            It is hard to believe that in just a few days I will be boarding a plane by myself to live in a foreign country.  This is something that is radically different for me as I am completely stepping out of my comfort zone.  Although I was a bit nervous when I first went to college and left my family and best friends at home, things worked out great and AU is a second home for me.  When I am home in New York I am happy because I get to hang out with all of my lifelong best friends from high school.  When I am in Washington I get to hang out with all my best friends that I have met in the past three years and all of my AKPsi friends.  However when I am in London, I wont have either groups with me and that will probably be the hardest part of leaving.  With the exception of my good Alpha Kappa Psi friends Meagan, Chelsea and Shayna, I will be leaving behind all of my favorite people behind.   
            During the next few days I will be trying hard to fit my entire life into two suitcases. I will miss everyone, but I hope you all keep in touch.  My skype and AIM names are both mrees1428.  My email address is mrees1428@aol.com , also use facebook to keep in touch. Feel free to comment on my blog and feel free to ask anything you want about my experience.  Next time I update this blog, it will be about my first few days experience in London!

-Rees

P.S.- The blog is in London time, 5 hours ahead of the East coast US. 

No comments:

Post a Comment