Friday, January 14, 2011

FIE Party, Harrods and Blood Brothers

           Once I was finished with classes for the week on Wednesday evening, I walked over to Imperial college for my school FIE’s welcome reception/party.  My friends and I were somehow the first ones there so we just stood around awkwardly for a few minutes until everyone else got there.  The party had free food and drinks (alcoholic included) for all the students.  It was pretty cool and weird to be at a party hosted by your school that includes free beer and wine (take notes from FIE, American).  
            On Thursday afternoon everyone was either in class or taking a nap so I decided to take a walk around the area by myself for a while.  I ended up at the worlds famous Harrods, which is about a 15-20 minute walk from Metrogate House.  For my entire life I always pictured Harrods to be just like Macys in Herald Square in New York City and I could have not been more wrong.  Macys is just a very large store taking up an entire block, but everything is at prices that the average New Yorker can afford.  Harrods, which also takes up an entire block, is a massive LUXURY store.  The interior of the store was basically like the interior of a palace complete with large paintings, crystal chandeliers and stained glass ceilings in the food courts.  I don’t think I could have afforded anything in Harrods, except a few chocolate bars, which I bought just to say I purchased something there.  The most impressive part of the store was the food hall, which contains some of the most colorful and decadent displays of food I have ever seen.  Each room of the hall was a different food category such as the meat room, the bakery and the confectionary.  I think I died and went to heaven in both the confectionary and bakery sections. 
Harrods!

Egyptian Themed Interior
Harrods Confectionery 

             Thursday night everyone had tickets (provided for free by FIE) to see a show on London’s West End, which is basically equivalent to Broadway in New York.  I had a ticket to see “Blood Brothers” a show that I have never heard of before but happens to be one of London’s longest running shows.  Although I am not much of a theatre fan, I did enjoy the show for what it was.  The show tells the story about two fraternal twins who are separated at birth and one grows up in a struggling home when the other is brought up by a wealthy family.  Eventually they become friends and fall in love with the same girl, resulting in their death.  The music had a cheesy 80’s feel to it and my only complaint was that the music was too loud which made the actors a bit hard to hear.  Overall, it was a good experience. 
Pheonix Theatre- Blood Brothers
Anyway in other news, my shower's water likes to be either very cold or absolutely freezing lately which is starting to get on my nerves.  Tomorrow morning through Sunday evening I will be traveling to Cardiff, Wales to visit my grandmother.  Talk to everyone soon!

-Rees



No comments:

Post a Comment