Sunday, April 24, 2011

The End of the End- LonDONE.


            Well, the day has finally arrived.  This is going to be a really sad post for me to write as I have a lot of thoughts going through my mind.  Tonight I will board my flight back to New York after living in London for 4 months and traveling throughout Europe.  Although I chose London only because they speak English, my grandmother lives nearby, my program offered an internship and they speak English; I could not be happier with my decision to go to the UK. 
            Over the past few months, I have definitely fallen in love with London.  Sure its expensive and it destroyed my bank account, but it really is a great city filled with history and tons to do.   Even after living here for 4 months, I still have not done everything that I wanted to do here.  Although I am really sad to be leaving London, I am ready to see my family and friends once again.  Throughout the last four months, I have learned a lot about myself and I have gained quite a bit of confidence in my own abilities.  I learned that I can work and live in a foreign country without much difficulty and I can travel into countries that do not speak a word of English and still find my way around. 
            The last 4 months of my life have truly been some of the most amazing times in all of my life.  Never again will I have that amount of time to live and travel on a different continent.  I had the opportunity to work and live in London and travel throughout Europe, reaching 15 different countries.  The entire experience is something that I will never forget and I am so grateful that I was able to do what I did.  Studying abroad is a privilege and it is something that not everyone will have the opportunity to do. 
            Anyway before heading back to the States, there are a few people that I need to thank who helped make my experience great. 
            1) My Parentsà First and foremost, I could not thank my parents enough for everything that they have done for me throughout my life and the last few months.  Throughout my life they have always supported me with whatever I have wanted to do, whether it’s going to one of the most expensive colleges in the USA or living in one of the most expensive countries in the world for a few months.  Over the past few months, I have realized that I am a very expensive child but my parents put up with my anyway.  So Mom and Dad if you are reading is like my other blog posts, I could not thank you enough for everything that you guys have done for me.  I could have not gone abroad without your support. 
            2) My London Groupà Its been a great time over here in London and it could note have been as great without great people to experience it with.  So to everyone who made some great memories in London with me, I could not thank you enough.  Special shoutout to Meagan, Chelsea and Shayna for all of our crazy trips and great time from day #1 of the program. 
            3) People I have traveled with/ stayed withà As you all know I have traveled quite a bit over the past few months, and the people that I traveled with have made it so great.  I would like to send a special shoutout to all my AKPsi people and my other friends who have housed me in other countries: Marissa and Alexa in Nice, Seth and Richard in Copenhagen, Deb in Edinburgh and Ross in Rome.  I would also like to send a shoutout to my old roommate Greg who I had great times with in Rome and Munich and everyone else that I have seen along the way. 
            4)  My roommates- Mike, Chris and Nate.  When I first got to metrogate and learned that I would be living in one small room with three other people, I freaked out a bit and prepared for disaster.  However, everything in the 7A worked out perfectly.  During our first few weeks my roommates and I were all very quiet and kept to ourselves, but by the end of the program we became the loudest room in the building and we all became good friends.  

            Well everyone, that about wraps up my time in London.  Its been a great experience and I thank everyone who read this blog and was interested in what I have been up to.  I hope to see everyone back in the states soon and I will update this blog once more when I get back to the States about fitting back into the US. 

-Rees

No comments:

Post a Comment